The newly upgraded NCC199CDV Commercial Condensing Water Heater from Noritz America offers an industry-best, 10-year warranty on its redesigned dual stainless steel heat exchangers. Now produced as a unique, single-piece structure for easier servicing, the new heat exchangers also incorporate substantial improvements in corrosion resistance (100 percent) and heat-shock durability (200 percent).
The re-engineered NCC199CDV also features an industry renowned Uniform Energy Factor of 0.97 and a now fully integrated exhaust non-return valve that speeds and simplifies common venting for up to six heaters without the need for additional accessories. Because the valve is built into the heater, operational safety is assured, and installation time and cost are reduced.
Multi-Unit System Controller
The units can also be installed outdoors or on a rooftop with an optional vent cap
As with the predecessor model, unveiled in 2017, the upgraded NCC199CDV offers a maximum input of 199,900 Btu per hour; a capacity range of 0.29 to 11.1 gallons per minute; water temperatures from 100°F to 185°F; and a thermal efficiency rating of 98 percent /0.97 UEF. The new NCC199CDV can also direct-vent, using either 2-inch or 3-inch PVC, CPVC, or rigid polypropylene materials.
However, vent lengths have been extended: 65 feet for 2-inch pipe, up from the previous 60 feet; and 150 feet (instead of 100 feet) for three-inch pipe. The units can also be installed outdoors or on a rooftop with an optional vent cap. Up to 24 NCC199CDV units can be linked together in a single system, using a Multi-Unit System Controller, to meet the hot-water needs of high-volume commercial and industrial applications: restaurants, schools, assisted living facilities, breweries, hospitality, correctional facilities, factories, etc.
stainless-steel heat exchangers
The controller offers the most control options on the market, including aqua-stat and timer pump controls plus application settings for recirculation loops and supplemental storage tanks. Inputs can range from 18,000 to 4.8 million BTU/h (for a 24-unit multi-system), yielding up to a 266:1 turndown ratio. An optional Quick-Connect cable is available for connecting two units.
“When Noritz introduced the NCC199CDV in 2017, we targeted two key improvements in commercial tankless technology: higher durability through dual, all-stainless-steel heat exchangers; and improved installation efficiencies through common venting,” explains Jason Fleming, Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “Today, the newly redesigned NCC199CDV builds on those twin objectives with ground-breaking improvements in both areas.”
Built-in Exhaust Non-Return Valve
The conventional, external approach requires the header to be set a minimum of 18 inches above the heaters"
Integrating this critical valve into the water heater should cut job-site labor by as much as 25 percent by sparing the installer the task of having to install the valve externally between the water heater and the common-vent header. Another important advantage: Eliminating the external valve allows for lower-profile venting. “The conventional, external approach requires the header to be set a minimum of 18 inches above the heaters,” says James Facer, Noritz Commercial National Account Manager.
“Reducing that clearance to less than nine inches boosts system design flexibility and makes for a much easier install, especially in the highly confined and crowded spaces of mechanical rooms.” Meanwhile, the built-in valve offers peace of mind to system designers, installers and building owners, because harmful exhaust gases of one water heater cannot backflow into a non-operational unit.
“When common-venting multiple units, the biggest concern is safety,” says Facer. “Integrating the exhaust non-return valve into the NCC199CDV minimizes concern that the vent job has been done incorrectly.”
Heat Exchanger Warranty
The 10-year heat exchanger warranty — up from five years for the predecessor model — is the direct result of the new proprietary design. The upgrade involves a unique blending of several types of high-quality, ferrite and austenite stainless steel — rather than relying on only one, as is the case with most stainless-steel heat exchangers.
For example, stainless types SS 304 and SS 316L offer excellent corrosion resistance. Which is why the NCC199CDV confines them to those sections that are in contact with the acidic condensate produced by the combustion process, thereby doubling the corrosion resistance of previous models. But Noritz has found that these two types lack the ideal tensile strength to handle super-high temperatures repeatedly.
easier to remove and replace
Service technicians will find it simpler and easier to remove and replace a single heat exchanger body
To prevent cracking under such extreme conditions and boost heater durability, the redesigned heat exchanger incorporates two other types of stainless steel — JFE434LN2 and NSSC220ECO — in the sections with potentially high thermal stress. These improvements in design and materials have yielded a 200 percent increase in heat-shock durability, as compared with previous models.
“The idea,” says Facer, “is simply to employ the right stainless materials in the right sections of the heat exchanger to maximize the life cycle of the product.” In a further improvement, Noritz now fuses the two heat exchangers into a single component. The logic here is labor-savings: Service technicians will find it simpler and easier to remove and replace a single heat exchanger body, rather than having to remove and reassemble two separate parts.
Other key features include:
- Compact design: The NCC199CDV is only 70 pounds, 11 fewer than its predecessor, thanks largely to the inclusion of the new, lighter stainless materials. (The previous model used only SS 316L.) The compactly designed heater can be easily wall-mounted. Mounting brackets line up with the top of the unit, enabling installers to more easily position it on the wall.
- Racking capability: The ability to combine (or “rack”) multiple units offers peace of mind through redundancy: If one unit requires servicing, others can continue to provide hot water.
- Ultra-low-NOx, modulating Eco-Burner: The premix, fully modulating burner has a nitrogen-oxide emissions level of only 14 parts per million, far exceeding the South Coast Air Quality Management District requirement of 20 ppm. The use of a Venturi gas valve optimizes the air/fuel ratio to continuously match energy consumption to present demand with pinpoint accuracy.
If the burner’s intake is blocked with debris, leading to sub-optimal oxygen levels, the Venturi valve will still blend the correct amount of gas to yield proper combustion. The result: better efficiency and safer operation with fewer moving parts.
- WiFi-enabled: Compatibility with the Noritz Connect app allows the user wireless remote control of heater functions, as well as diagnostic and maintenance reminders. The NCC199CDV can be integrated with building management and automation systems (BMS and BAS) found in many modern commercial applications, such as schools and office buildings.
- High-altitude performance: The NCC199CDV can perform at an altitude of up to 10,000 feet in both LP and NG gas types.
- Safety Devices: The NCC199CDV has several built-in safety devices, including a flame sensor, overheating and lightning prevention devices, freeze protection, and neutralizer overfill. An optional carbon monoxide alarm can also be connected.